Elim Bible Institute and College (EBI&C) and the New York School of Urban Ministry (NYSUM) have been working together for over 25 years to create an internship experience like no other. Each year we send our entire sophomore class to New York City for six weeks of intensive practical urban ministry and training. Our goal is that every student involved in this internship will not only walk away with practical experience, but also an increased participation with and understanding of God’s heart for the people living in urban settings.
Each student involved in our NYSUM internship program completes two weeks of extensive urban ministry training at EBI&C before leaving for NYC. This training includes team building, lectures, practices and projects. Students are divided into teams and assigned different team bonding sessions to grow in their familiarity with one another and in their ability to work together as a team. The training concludes in a hands-on ministry event in Rochester, NY, prior to their trip to NYC. This training is also connected to two regular EBI&C courses, Urban Ministry and Evangelism in a Postmodern World, in which students learn relevant and practical tools for ministry in urban settings.
Once they arrive at NYSUM, students are under the supervision of an on-site Elim staff member, as well as trained NYSUM staff. Through this internship, students will be given the opportunity to convey the gospel to the urban culture. They will experience a broad spectrum of urban ministries and will participate in the unique opportunities and challenges that face urban ministries today. Students will become more knowledgeable and intimately acquainted with the Father heart of God and learn how to convey that to this generation. The NYSUM Internship will ensure that students have the opportunity to practice the Word they have learned in the classroom in real, hands-on ministry experiences. Through urban training, on site practical ministry and actually living in a city neighborhood, students will gain substantial experience in reaching people in the city for Christ.
Ministry Goals and Expectations:
- Exhibit ability to apply Scripture while preaching and serving.
- Demonstrate the use of Christian principles while serving others.
- Display a sensitivity to God’s presence while ministering to others.
- Evidence the ability to share one’s personal testimony of God’s Grace.
- Demonstrate and practice the ability to preach the gospel in a relevant manner.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the urban culture and how the church serves it.
- Demonstrate a servant spirit that expresses itself in concern for others in the varying cultural, social, religious and non-religious settings of NYC.
- Exhibit the capacity to relate what you have learned in the classroom in service to the urban culture.
- Exhibit a biblical work ethic in life and ministry while serving the various ministries.
- Exhibit a clear understanding of the Kingdom of God’s family according to scripture as it relates to the Urban setting.
- Understand the fatherhood of God and learn to display this truth in your life and ministry.
- Developing a heart for the urban lost.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the cultural differences of the urban environment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the methodologies necessary to minister in the urban setting.
- Demonstrate the ability to minister to and amongst different traditions and generations methodologically, technologically and musically.