Urban ministry in Queens
Elim and the New York School of Urban Ministry (NYSUM) have been working together for over 25 years to create an internship experience like no other.
Each year, students journey to New York City for three weeks or six weeks of intensive urban ministry and training. Our goal is that every student involved in this internship will not only walk away with practical experience, but an increased passion and understanding of God’s heart for people living in urban settings.
Each student involved in our six-week NYSUM internship program completes three days of training at Elim before leaving for NYC. This training includes team building, classroom training, and worship/testimony practice. Students are divided into teams and assigned team exercises to grow in their familiarity with one another and in their ability to work together as a team. Once they arrive at NYSUM, students are under the supervision of the Ministry Director as well as trained NYSUM staff.
Internship goals & expectations
- Demonstrate the ability to apply Scripture while preaching & serving in New York City.
- Exhibit Christian principles while serving the urban community.
- Display a sensitivity to God’s presence while ministering to others.
- Evidence the ability to share one’s personal testimony of God’s Grace in their life.
- Demonstrate and practice the ability to preach the gospel in a relevant manner.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the urban culture and how the church serves it.
- Demonstrate a servant spirit that expresses itself in concern for others in the varying cultural, social, religious, and non-religious settings of NYC.
- Exhibit the capacity to relate what student has learned in the classroom in service to the urban culture.
- Exhibit a biblical work ethic in life and ministry while serving the various ministries.